Making Music in the Early Years
On Monday 4th July 2016, over 100 delegates including Early Years practitioners, teachers and music leaders, came together for SYEYM's conference Making Music in the Early Years.
The day’s events included:
- Keynote speech with Professor Colwyn Trevarthen Why Human Life is Musical, Especially in Early Years
- Workshop led by Esther Sheridan: Making Musical Stories
- Schools’ concerts Sing a Story led by Wigmore Hall’s John Webb, actor Charlotte Mafham and musicians. Attended by 600 children and 250 adults
- A presentation on Music in the Round’s Soundplay project by Kate Thompson and Vanessa Johnson
- An open forum with John Webb, Esther Sheridan and Prof. Colwyn Trevarthen
- Stalls from national and local arts organisations including: Youth Music, NYMAZ, Sheffield Music Hub, Sheffield Music Academy and Babelsongs
The day highlighted and produced a number of resources that would aid practitioners in bringing music into their settings to support all areas of development in the Early Years. These included:
- An investigation into our innate musicality by Prof. Colwyn Trevarthen
- A resource pack fom Sing a Story all about using musical stories in your setting
- A resource pack from the Soundplay project linking musical activities to areas of development in the EYFS
- Videos with all the Soundplay project songs
There are many more resources in our resource bank which are being added to all the time and can be found here
We will also be producing a number of resources inspired by the day itself for practitioners to use in their settings. Like our Facebook page or join our mailing list to be the first to know when these are released.
The day was hugely enjoyable and inspiring, but don't just take our word for it - have a look at what the day meant to delegates who attended:
ENSEMBLE 360 LIVE-STREAM
Please support our live-stream by donating online or by text message. Find out more here.